Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blankets Review 2

I finally got to finish Blankets and from the start I was entranced in the way the story was presented to me. Each panel was clear and concise and flowed beautifully. Some of the panels captured spirituality (based on his parents spiritual beliefs), love and hate in a way that was so eloquent. It was simply ure visual poetry. The pacing was exceptional. Enough time was given to each character that I was able to gain insight to each person and develop a deeper understanding for there place in Craig’s world, with out it becoming boring. The emotions that the characters expressed were engaging and this too helped me to understand the characters. As Craig and Raina’s developed, there was an emotional spark inside me that a book has never given me before. This emotion made me want to see Craig and Raina’s relationship last forever. (Spoiler Alert!) But as Raina so eerily stated earlier in the story all things come to an end.

It was at this point in the novel when all my heartstrings had been plucked that Craig breaks up with Raina, and no explanation was given. The only conclusion I made was that he needed a change in his life and that Raina wasn’t meant to be a part of it. So my analysis of this is that the author is exposing the harsh realities of life and that not everything has a storybook ending, and that sometimes we must go our own way. So with this anti ending I was left feeling disheartened, but as I look back, it was a nice change from the normal ending in most romance stories.

So for my last few words, I would recommend this graphic novel to those who are looking for a heartfelt story, and even though it ended in a way that didn’t leave me feeling good, it will resonate within me and I felt I learned a valuable life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment