Friday, April 2, 2010

Asterious Polyp

Asterious Polyp was a fun read. The fusion of modernistic drawing styles in combination with a gorgeous color and graphic design motif throughout the novel gave a Asterious Polyp a unique voice that makes it stand out from other graphic novels. There are many factors that really made this novel shine. First and foremost were the characters who posses qualities that beg to be animated. The exaggerated proportions the overall design of the characters seems to me to be blueprints to a potentially wonderful animation, 2D would probably work best just so that the style is kept in tact. Moving on to Asterious as a character, he is one that I was able to connect with on a deep level but I felt I was always falling short of truly understanding how he felt, which I suppose relates back to the authors character profile. I enjoyed reading Asterious’s overly complicated analyzations of the world around him, and seeing how people around him responded really kept me engaged in Asterious’s character as a whole, so I found it funny that I was caring about a character that didn’t really care if he was cared about or not. A really great addition to the novel was the author’s use of space. When Asterious went to a vast expansive location, I felt as though I was immersed in that space, and I had to take a deep breath of fresh air and look around me to make sure I wasn’t really there. I think the contributing factor is David Mazzucchelli attention to detail and expressing the subtleties in the environments. Another wonderful aspect of Asterious Polyp is the timing in the humor. A factor that enhanced the presentation of the jokes was the use of arcs and direction of the characters along with appropriate text direction. The culmination of ancient stories with the characters in place of the people that existed back then worked as an interesting motif that I think could have been explored more perhaps going into the future as well would add some contrast to the overall piece. So from the simple beginning the ending that I never saw coming, I thoroughly enjoyed Asterious Polyp and would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in character development, illustrations, graphic design or storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment